Hi guys and gals! Elson 'Darkspeeds' Wong here, I've been meaning to do something for Taeshilh & Suitcase - the creators of this wonderful web-comic series - for ages. It is going to be, as the title suggests, an animated adaptation of the web-comic! If you don't know what I mean why not check out my two very recent examples?
DreamKeepers - 'The Meeting'
DreamKeepers - 'School Fight'
I've only about a month to go before I fly off to Canada and United States for my long awaited revisit but before I do I feel the need to complete another animated adaptation project. This time I'll working on Chapter 62 - Feline Filibuster, which is 18 pages long. The running time of this animated adaptation should equate to around 8 minutes long, depending on any little extras I need to add into the video (e.g. additional scenes).
I decided to chose a chapter like this because I'm up for a challenge - for the first time I'm going to feature a video that contains several characters to voice part the scenario (characters in which I cannot voice part effectively, especially the female roles). In other words I'm going to need a lot of help with the voice acting department and that's where you guys and gals come in.
I need help with the following cast for Chapter 62:
voiced by [Bridgeotto] - - - - [TAKEN!] [VA Load = 90%]
[Pending!] [VA Load = 30%]
voiced by [Tabris] - - - - [TAKEN!] [VA Load = 15%]
voiced by [????] - - - - [TAKEN!] [VA Load = 5%]
voiced by [Susan] - - - - [TAKEN!] [VA Load = 5%]
[Pending] [VA Load = 30%]
voiced by [Ace] - - - - [TAKEN! - Darkspeeds' suggestion: Suitcase], Jacob was suggested, Sammy offered] [VA Load = 50%]
voiced by [Jshadow] - - - - [TAKEN! - Honourable mentions: Arnas Baubkus & RedJack] [VA Load = 30%]
voiced by [Juniorboomer] - - - - [TAKEN!] [VA Load = 5%]
This is going to be a serious challenge for me because I'm going to need the cooperation of a lot of people to get this project running smoothly! I usually do the voices myself for previous animation adaptation projects, not only because it's tremendous fun to do but it's also more efficient for me to do so. I get to place the tracks into the recording whenever I want and if I want changes I get them immediately too!
If I were to get people to voice act parts and need changes then it's a matter of waiting for at least 24 hours (and in most cases, longer than 24 hours to get the lines I want).
So what are my tips for those who are going to voice role as one of the characters featured in the chapter?
- Get a decent mic. I can't stress enough to get a clear recording from the lines you voice part. Clarity is key to any recording which comes to another point...
- Have a decent sound card. This was something I've learn from my previous project. It was discovered that if you record on a laptop chances are you'll get static. Try recording your lines on a PC, and if you don't have one go to your friends/aunties/your next door neighbour... Static is an unwanted enemy in the recording process.
- Don't need to act like a pro, just have fun. When you're confirmed to have been given the role to do a particular character don't be nervous when recording! It sounds silly but some of those who are doing it for the first time feel they need to go beyond their expectations, only to send me lines that don't sound right or are not up to par. Just relax, think of those voices like the time you read it in your head when you had an exciting moment catching up with the latest page from BSCB! You're ultimately in control and I stress the point that you have fun, have a laugh and be proud that you're a part of something quite special.
- Record your lines in an environment that's free from distractions and outside noise, if possible. Once again clarity is key to any recording session.
- Do you recording in one shot. Hey don't worry about making mistakes, they may make for great bloopers should I include such a section in the video!
- I'm also looking for 'reactionary sounds' from characters. There are times where lines recorded do not strictly need to stick to the dialogue. Observe each panel and study the character's emotions/expression at the time. For example you can throw in a "Hmmm", "Huh?", "Woah!, "Gosh!", "Ahhh!", "Bleh" etc... Be creative! We need extras like these to make the scene more interesting and flow naturally to the narrative.
- Save your files in MP3 files. Zip them up and then send them to email@example.com
- Try to send in those lines as soon as possible. The earlier I can get those lines the better obviously. If we all work together we can get this project completed faster than you'd expect it.
To give people an idea of what I'm looking for:
LISTEN TO PAULO
Listen carefully for 'reactionary sounds', those extra sounds will help illustrate POINT 6 in my submission/recording tips section.
Let this be a confidence boost to all of those giving it a go! You surely can do better than what I did. ^_~
Everything sounds different when the whole project is compiled together with music, additional voices and SFX. ^^
So are you interested? Send me an e-mail or post your comment here.
There is one other thing to point out - do I need voice samples? Well that part's questionable. I'm not too strict when it comes to voices, after all this a fan-project and I'm here because I want to have fun and make something special to a series we all love in the BSCB community.
I guess what's most important to me is the clarity of your recording (i.e. free from noise/static). Maybe it is a good idea to send me your FIRST LINE with a couple of more lines, before you go for the full recording session, for review. Once I have a listen and I'm cool with it then you're good to go to record the rest! *thumbs up*
If anyone of you have any further questions please feel free to send me an e-mail or post your questions here. Good luck!
Oh and finally, to those who want to build up some confidence in possibly trying out a spot as one of the characters above check out my behind the scenes video - I make a fool of myself at 3:32 minutes.
Oh and one more thing. I promise it'll be the last...
I'm going to try and get our creators into the video somewhere as a voice extra (with the exception that Suitcase takes the part as Abbey). I'm sure Taeshilh can be heard somewhere in one of the scenes (maybe two!) As for the other characters not featured above... I WILL BE VOICE ACTING THEM! MUA HA HA HA!!! *SHOT* *SHOT* *SHOT* XXD
*** Change of Plans (Michael and McCain available for trial! - Depending on how quickly I can get those lines, as well as the clarity of the recordings) ***
Out of your curiosity, my favourite goes to Paulo. X3 The second goes to David(and believe me you'll be disappointed with my interpretation of David, it sounds NOTHING like him.... XXXXXD)
[UPDATED - 31st MAY 2011]
I've just posted a 'behind-the-scenes' video for the production of this project so far! You guys and gals have been fantastic with your contributions in terms of voice auditions and recordings! Here's my way of saying thanks and also to give insight to everyone who will be watching the animated adaptation of Chapter 62: Feline Filibuster!
Click on the image below to watch the video!
[UPDATED - 02nd JUNE 2011]
Here's the second video update containing more 'behind the scenes' footage and an exclusive preview to the first minute of the animated adaptation!
BSCB Animated Adaptation Update 02!
This post has been edited by Darkspeeds: 17 June 2011 - 07:10 PM