Titanium Dragon, on 04 July 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:
The problem here is that, well, frankly, we don't know how true that is. Mike said it... but the problem is that there's a damn good chance its not true. Why is this?
1) We've seen Mike snapping at people more lately.
2) Haley, who has to deal with him on a daily basis, notes that Mike gets a "stick up his ass" whenever he gets off the phone with Sandy.
3) We can see this moodiness in the present arc - every time it wasn't Sandy showing up, we can see some major doubts or anger or unhappiness surfacing.
I've seen a lot of people act like this, and its really not a good way to be. And Lucy's text was well-intentioned. She could have easily said something else, but instead she expressed worry over Mike, and we can see right now Mike breaking down.
Mike has worked very hard to convince himself that Lucy is evilbadwrong! lately, and the trouble with doing that is that people tend not to be wholly one thing or another. When your mental model of another person breaks down, denial often results.
1.I don't feel like Mike has been snappy at others lately unless it's involved Lucy(like with the teacher when he was assigning the pairs/moments with the play). We haven't seen an awful lot of him lately as well, so it is kind of hard to go by anything. I could be wrong so examples would be awesome if anyone can find any!
2. I think Taeshi said somewhere on her formspring that Haley's interpretation of Mike isn't totally
correct? Because Haley can be bothersome or something like that? If wacko wants to help me out on this hahaha(I'll try to find it). Plus, if there is total truth in the statement, I assume he'd be in a bad mood because he probably hates having to get off the phone with Sandy anyway.
3. I think that all of his reactions in this arc are totally understandable and explainable. He has had his fall outs with trying to meet up with Sandy before(as mini-flashbacked on one of the pages) and those are bad memories and the fact that this could very easily be one of them all over again is probably really stressful and worrying. Not to mention his nerves are probably wrecked, considering the situation itself.
Like I said, even well-intentioned she shouldn't have done ANYTHING. She should have known that the best thing she could have done for Mike was just stay out of his business and personal life completely, because that's what he wanted from her. Mike is breaking down because he thinks that it's going to be impossible to ever be able to fully get rid of Lucy. How can he know it's well intended anyway?
While I agree with your last point pretty much, I also think it was Lucy that eventually pushed him to the point he's at with her. I think it's hard to see the light of goodness in someone after you've actually realized the shit they've been really putting you through for years.