who likes reviewers
This also goes for Let's Play. Any good ones you have found or bad ones? I keep thinking snooths would be wonderful in this, and it could also spark stuff because I find myself being really picky with reviewers :-[ (Such as not being too fond of Nostalgia Critic or Linkara, etc)
but adoring the shit out of nostalgia chick
maybe i will explain opinions more if there is some involvement, please try to avoid just kind of listing the stuff you like. From what I noticed in the webcomic thread, listing doesn't really spark conversation, explanation does!!
- 22 August 2012 - 07:36 PM
I haven't seen too many, only a few videos by The Angry Video Nerd and some Machinima stuff. Also, one AWFUL video by some guy reviewing Sonic Adventures, but I can't remember his name, and I heard it was one of his worst, so it isn't fair to judge him entirely on that.
For The Angry Video Nerd, I personally find him a bit ridiculous sometimes, but overall, it is a nice experience. He makes some pretty clever jokes, typically with nice execution, and somehow, even when his jokes bomb, it isn't really pitiful. I guess he just oozes self-confidence. I attribute the anger. And, if you are capable of separating meaning and humor, then his reviews are actually pretty useful too. Though, he is more for the entertainment factor.
Machinima is pretty good. Occasionally they have a joke or something, but mainly I watch them when I'm seriously considering a game. Their reviews are normally really straight to the point and interesting. They also have some Let's Play's and stuff similar to that. I think they have videos showing off different Skyrim mods that was pretty entertaining. They're usually good. I haven't seen to many, and the only one I can remember was nostalgia'ing on some CoD:4 while a guy completely destroyed everybody.
All in all, I like them, though not as much as some people. They don't always have to be hilarious (even though it is preferred), but they must be at least somewhat interesting. I particularly enjoy when they explain video game history and go on tangents like that. I've always liked listening and learning, and watching people review things lets you keep up with pop culture with a little less involvement.
- 22 August 2012 - 08:02 PM
For Lets Play? Retsupurae. They're pretty entertaining.
This post has been edited by Vigtyr: 22 August 2012 - 08:16 PM
- 22 August 2012 - 08:15 PM
Nostalgia Critic is okay. However, like NChick, he seems to act as though humor is directly proportional to how many guest characters he can cram into one episode. He even sank as low as to guest star fucking BrentalFloss, quite possibly the most unfunny internet persona I've ever seen.
I do enjoy AVGN, a guilty pleasure for me. His voice just completely nails the role, as opposed to Doug Walker's annoying, high-pitched yells. I guess the nostalgia factor kicks in too, with me being a fan of him for a very long time.
As for Let's Plays, the only one I keep up with is Two Best Friends Play (Matt and Pat). Their personalities bounce off each other fucking flawlessly. The recent "Super Best Friends Brawl" with them and Woolie playing Mario Party 9 was golden. I'm still keeping up with their playthrough of Final Fight: Streetwise, despite how much I pity them for suffering through such an awful game.
This post has been edited by MintyFishbowl: 22 August 2012 - 08:27 PM
- 22 August 2012 - 08:26 PM
- 22 August 2012 - 08:56 PM
Thank you! That was the guy with the really awful Sonic Adventures review.
- 22 August 2012 - 09:17 PM
I also watched most of the Nostalgia Critic and Nostalgia Chick reviews. They were both funny, and sometimes had me splitting my sides with laughter. It made me sad when Nostalgia Critic reviewed Pokemon: The First Movie, though. :<
The only LPer I watch with consistency and see most of his videos is UberHaxorNova. He's hilarious all the time, and I don't think I've ever gone through any of his videos without chuckling or dying laughing.
The last LPer I watch on occasion is Rachelkip, but that's more for watching her play Limbo than laughing.
- 22 August 2012 - 10:07 PM
The only time I've ever thought the sidekicks was the review for The Little Mermaid, because it's a movie so many people love, and Lindsey was in the minority so it was interesting seeing her bouncing off the sidekick's rebuttals and such. That was a good way to use them.
I used to love Two Best Friends Play until they started using the embarrassing animations inbetween their reviews. That is just unnecessary and embarrassing. It seems like a lot of reviewers believe that for them to be successful, they have to add some stupid storyline into the mix or up the production value when it would be much better they just go for clarity. I don't care if you can photoshop some red eyes into a bird that sits on your shoulder, I care if you're clever.
I guess I'm a minimalist, but I love reviewers when they.. review. I mean Pat the NES Punk is an example of a guy that does have storylines inbetween his reviews, but he's like the only guy that doesn't shit me about it, probably because it adds to his charm. He's like a dogged nice guy and I find him thoroughly enjoyable. Though his toy-buddies do get grating at some points. I'm heavily picky.. but I guess I can make those little things slide if you're a good and funny writer.
- 22 August 2012 - 11:47 PM
Yeah, the animations in TBFP are kinda superfluous. A nitpick of mine is that they sometimes use them during awkward, brief pauses, which I think ruins the humorous effect of them. It's funnier to just imagine their facial expressions and reactions and leave it up to interpretation. However, chibi Matt is undeniably adorable.
If you can't tolerate the animations, then I recommend checking out their full playthroughs on their personal channel, TheSw1tcher, as opposed to their regular episodes on Machinima. They're unscripted, unedited, and are free of any gimmicks. It's just them being themselves, which probably makes it the most charming and enjoyable series they have. They've done full playthroughs of Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill: Downpour, and like I said, Final Fight: Streetwise. There's also Two Best Friends Watch, which is them commentating on cutscenes MST3K-style. However, the first episode of it (Metroid: Other M) felt a little dragged on, and their discussions would stray far from the game at times. I still enjoyed it, though.
- 23 August 2012 - 02:08 AM
There's also Cr1tikal, who mostly plays random or unknown titles. He doesn't complete them like traditional players, but what I like about him is the odd way he delivers his deadpan humor. A lot of what he says makes no sense, but at the same time it's just...well, you have to see for yourself:
- 23 August 2012 - 06:38 AM
Genuinely good internet reviewers and lets players
- Angry Video Game Nerd and the other Cinemassacre videos - A funny earnest guy that does a good job almost all the time. He's such an affable person that it doesn't matter if he doesn't hit all the time. It's so impressive how he has shaped this miniature industry. I enjoy his friends too, I think Mike is great.
- Nostalgia Chick - Insightful, educated, funny. Though I am expecting her mind to rot the more time she spends with her idiotic fat friend (though vampire friend is ok just boring)
- Pat the NES punk - I can see this guy being an acquired taste but I think he's really funny in this off-beat self-deprecating way. I actually kinda like the "story" aspect of his show which so often bogs down these reviews with bullshit mainly because I like him as a person and I'm interested in seeing his writing. This is maybe the funniest thing he's ever posted and I just love it.
- Todd in the Shadows - Mostly sharp and seems like a nice guy. I like his perspective on music.
- Two Best Friends Play - at the bottom of this list because there are some real duds on their playlist while other times they're totally hilarious. I found the few games they played that I had played (e.g. Arkham City) totally fell flat because of how hard it felt that they were reaching for absurd problems in games that didn't really deserve it, so I really hope that this is not true of all their videos and I just didn't realise it
- Cybershell - What a great definitive work his S3&K playthrough was. A funny guy whose personality shines through.
- Gamecenter CX - Not on the internet, but really the best possible way you could do a show like these. It gets nearly everything right.
Acceptable background noise when you need something you can listen to and the TiVo has run out of Law & Order
- Zero Punctuation - I don't care enough about modern video games to watch all the stuff he does, but I check his review out after I beat a game. I don't think his taste is exquisite but the videos he puts together are usually decently funny and have some interest.
- Nostalgia Critic - A horrible noisy unfunny uninteresting idiot but I enjoy that his videos are long and are often covering interesting movies.
- JonTron - Only was linked to this guy a few days ago in some Starfox discussion in the IRC. Amazingly unfunny and horrible, but the videos are vaguely entertaning in a Nostalgia Critic way.
The fucking worst
- Red Letter Media \ Mr. Plinkett - THE MOST OVERRATED IDIOT ON THE INTERNET. Yes he has a decent handle on what makes for competent narrative storytelling. So do most undergrads in an arts faculty. Yet he presents his video in a stupid unfunny distracting voice and constantly interrupts himself with weak jokes and a ridiculous meta plot about his life as a kidnapper\rapist. It's my contention that even if you've seen the Star Wars reviews and previously enjoyed them, you cannot in good faith read this section of his Wikipedia article without concluding that his videos HAVE to be unfunny internet nerd trash. The absurdity of his dumbass character and the reminders of his constant shameful attempts to be funny would be enough to invalidate the entertainment value of his reviews even if they were filled with great insights. And they make it a foregone conclusion for his overlong, mostly uninteresting amateur takedowns of easily maligned franchise films.
- Linkara - A screechy moron who has nothing to say and loves the sight of his own fedora. Did you know he seriously tries to tell a story about himself in his comic book reviews? What a fucking joke.
- Spoony - unfunny idiot I'd like to rape
- Desu girl Spoony wanted to rape but I forgot the name of - a boring christian idiot with nothing useful to say about anime trash
- LordKat - What a self-important immature faggot. I hope he rots in his parents basement into his late-twenties OH WAIT
- Almost everybody else on TGWTG - Whenever I look, it's always a boring hatted idiot mumbling into a camera about shit I don't care about.
- MST3K - Always unfunny and horrible. Every one they did. Deserves a mention because they're the guiding influence behind every bad reviewer on the internet.
- Retsupurae - Not fully into these guys yet. Seems like a lot of unfunny or boring stuff mixed inbetween comedy gold. I am willing to think more of them the more I see, though.
- SirRonLionheart - Complicated feelings indeed. His runthrough of Kaizo Super Mario World is hysterical but almost everything else sucks or kinda sucks. I think he was a flash in the pan.
- Irate gamer - utterly embarrassing and horrible in this trainwreck way that has made for hysterical parodies. Third Rate Gamer is super sharp and hysterical when viewed alongside the original videos, and Save State Gamer is enjoyable too.
- Angry Joe - he is angry in a space ship.
- 23 August 2012 - 07:25 AM
Retsupurae is a mixed bag. I guess it just depends on the luck of the draw. Overall, I like them though, and they have interesting personalities with their own kind of razor wit. Their retsupurae of Darkseeds 2 is overrated though, cause it drags on too long with a lot of dull moments.
- 23 August 2012 - 03:08 PM
Suitcase: I can't fucking stand Angry Joe. I tried to watch his video about the disc-locked content on SFxTekken, but couldn't get passed the obnoxious yelling and stopped around the five-minute mark. I know that a name like Angry Joe points out what you should expect, but even then, he does a pretty shitty job at trying to do the Angry Reviewer Shtick.
And didn't Spoony get kicked out of Team TGWTG for being a raging alcoholic or something?
This post has been edited by MintyFishbowl: 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM
- 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM
AVGN/Cinemassacre: I get a nostalgia kick as well as entertainment. I like the reviews on older movies too, they're quite informative
Zero Punctuation: I love to see how far he can go with trying to get creative word play to work. I like his nitpicking and I get all giddy when he bashes gaming companies, too. As for his reviews, I tend not to take them seriously at all, I've seen him bitch about games that are legitimately good (so I like him for entertainment only?).
Nostalgia Chick: I haven't really watched much of her stuff, but much of which I have I really liked (her Milo & Otis review was an eye-opener ).
Wreckless Eating: the good, the weird, and the awful; they eat it all. Sometimes it's like watching Jackass if they were bought up by the food network, other times it can be informative and actually get me to try of the foods myself.
Red Letter Media: I like their movie reviews because they tend to go into detail (their Red Tails review, for example, was spot-on), but their shticks get really tiring really fast.
Nostalgia Critic: I only tend to watch him if he's doing a movie I've seen, I really can't stand it when he over-does it with flash animations and after effects. The other things people find annoying about him don't bother me. Though I do like his "Top 11" lists, like his Top 11 Nostalgic Mind-Fucks.
The Spoony Experiment: I used to watch him quite a bit, mostly for his Let's Play videos, but he's really gone down hill. I only ever watch him now for his reviews on newly released movies. The addition of dumb shticks like the Nostalgia Critic's are equally annoying.
The Cinema Snob: His voice can get really grating after awhile, but I still get a kick out of him reviewing awful movies I will never watch myself. I also like watching him eat weird things. However, I can't be bothered to watch him anymore, I lost interest a long while ago.
Angry Joe: I revel in his out-right enthusiasm for some games, but I generally ignore him because I find his "angry" thing gets annoying at times. Though I do pay close attention when he talks about games and franchises that interest me (like Aliens Colonial Marines).
Linkara: just annoying.
Escape to the Movies with MovieBob: anime biased faggot.
Xplay: I used to love 'em, but fuck me, things had been going downhill even before Sessler left. Now they are less about their own style of reviews and more about game related shit I can see elsewhere. After watching their older stuff, I had no idea just how biased some of their reviews were.
I believe they fired him for making a rape joke. They had apparently fired someone outright for that before, but gave Spoony another chance. He didn't improve so they cut him loose. That's what I heard, though I'm sure all the other stuff had something to do with it too.
This post has been edited by ChewySmokey: 23 August 2012 - 10:59 PM
- 23 August 2012 - 10:50 PM
i've been watching "The Bunny Perspective" lately, though. it's a dude hiding behind a rabbit puppet that looks like Max from "Sam and Max" as he reviews (mostly) movies and television. i haven't seen all of his videos yet, but most of his stuff seems okay. there are some parts of his reviews which don't really make sense, like, he used to add this roommate character to certain parts all the time to show this illusion that the puppet is a real person, but that pretty much stops in later episodes. in general, i don't care if reviewers are funny. i'd rather that they just get to the point on certain topics, so i dislike most attempts at humor in reviews. what "Phil Bunny" does is give a general overview of the movie/show and his thoughts. he does a few "commentary" episodes, which i don't really care for and he did a series of "Let's Play" videos of the video game version of "The Room", which i only saw one video of because i generally don't care for "Let's Play" videos.
This post has been edited by Kaxbe: 23 August 2012 - 11:36 PM
- 23 August 2012 - 11:35 PM
As an aside,I really find that I need to be interesting in the voice and inflection a reviewer has. Someone like Angry Joe has a specific tone that gets my attention (yelling/spazzing out aside which he does too way too much on some reviews), while NChick's voice drowns out for me
This post has been edited by Pants: 24 August 2012 - 05:20 AM
- 24 August 2012 - 05:16 AM
I also really do like Linkara too and over all don't mind story arcs, to me it feels like you're more watching an actual TV show rather than just a review show. Don't get me wrong I can see how some people wouldn't like that and just want reviews but I like em.
Also I'm super excited about the silly little 4th year anniversary movie for TGWTG, so judge on.
- 25 August 2012 - 03:31 PM
- 25 August 2012 - 03:52 PM
And like I said I get why other people don't like it I just do, it makes me more invested in the reviewer themselves which prompts me come back to a review show even if I don't like what they review.
- 25 August 2012 - 09:51 PM
I used to be a frequent watcher of Nostalgia Critic until I opened my eyes and realized that all his reviews are shit, though once in a while I will go back to watch the Top 11's because I think that he's ACTUAL view on movies is very good. Nostalgia Critic is just a character he plays, in his actual vlogs where he talks about movies without any of his "jokes" I tend to listen to him more. In his Top 11's it's actual opinion and not just loudmouth farce. Seriously, how many times is he going to use the gun joke, holy shit.
Game Grumps tends to get on my nerves a bit, JonTron on his own is...okay,I guess and Egoraptor is Egoraptor, but bringing them together? They're supposed to be reviewers but they spend most of their reviews in childish giggling and not even talking about the game they're playing. In the end it just seems like "hey, watch these two assholes have fun" instead of an actual review of the game they're playing. It's not very professional. But if you're bored on a Saturday night they're at least watchable.
- 25 August 2012 - 10:30 PM
- 26 August 2012 - 12:54 AM
And even then, it's pretty obvious that Yahtzee goes for comedy more than actually giving insightful reviews. Anyone that gets mad over his opinion is missing the entire point of his reviews in the first place.
- 26 August 2012 - 02:32 AM
This post has been edited by MintyFishbowl: 16 September 2012 - 02:35 AM
- 16 September 2012 - 02:34 AM
You can start from here. Years later he replays it again using a walkthrough.
- 14 May 2013 - 04:51 PM
That guy wasn't exactly the most interesting individual, to be honest. The video was actually pretty boring
- 14 May 2013 - 05:39 PM
I really enjoy his reviews, as they are usually mixed up with a games history lesson. It brings a lot of insight about the times and the environments surrounding the game in question, and even busts out some interesting trivia sometimes. At times he tries to be funny, but that's not really his main draw, as he really is better at being informative. You might still get a smile every now and then though!
Sadly, he hasn't made a review in a long time. But apparently he's working on one right now, so cheers!
This post has been edited by ZoeStellan: 14 May 2013 - 07:50 PM
- 14 May 2013 - 07:48 PM
- 15 May 2013 - 01:44 AM
- 15 May 2013 - 02:57 AM
Cr1TiKaL is usually pretty entertaining. Some of his stuff is very hit and miss, not to mention he is hardly a serious Let's Player; but all of that aside, I like his videos a lot more than I like plenty of other people's.
The thing is, most of his low-tier unfunny shit is about on par with a lot of reviewers better videos and jokes. Probably why I like him so much more. Though, I will admit, unlike say Angry Video Game Nerd, Cr1TiKaL's jokes do KINDA bomb when they don't land. Not to say it is cringe worthy or anything, it is just worth saying he puts himself out there a bit more.
This post has been edited by Meowth: 15 May 2013 - 03:57 AM
- 15 May 2013 - 03:49 AM
I generally prefer Nostalgia Critic to Nostalgia Chick. Yeah, most, if not all of his skits aren't funny, but I really enjoy some of his jokes and all his more serious editorials. While I may not agree with him 100% of the time, I think he generally makes his case quite well. And at least I laugh at some of his jokes, which is more to say than Nostalgia Chick. It's weird, because I'm generally a huge fan of deadpan, and I know objectively she does it well enough, but it just doesn't seem all that funny to me. Just not on my wavelength I guess.
And I really like Jontron, and Gamegrumps. It brings back memories of hanging out with friends, playing video games and just talking. It's terrible as a Let's Play, but I maintain that it can be funny at times, in that sort of overblown way. I guess I like that a lot more than I thought.
AVGN CAN be absolutely hilarious, but it's pretty hit and miss for me. The gross-humour gets old really fast, and I'm glad he's been keeping it down a bit with his more recent videos. PeanutButterGamer is kind of my favourite in the genre of video games. He's got that sort of awkwardness that just kills me.
- 16 May 2013 - 07:53 PM