So the new chapter is underway (WHO IS IT ACTUALLY ABOUT??) but did you notice the changes we made to the archive? Did you see our latest Kickstarter update? Did you check for yet another exclusive BCI comic?
WELL! Read on for more details about what has been changed.
Okay, so this all went live on Monday and a bunch of you did notice. But let's review for posterity!
1. Mobile pages are now rendered in either low-colour PNG or medium-quality JPEG, at a larger size.
The mobile changes came about after I realised it was kinda silly that we were still serving original-iPhone sized images years after the standard 320x480 iPhone resolution became "low resolution". It's a retina world. So after a bit of experimentation, we now have higher res images with less jpeggy artifacts everywhere.
2. Browsers running on retina displays (primarily iPad 3s, 4s and MacBook Pros with retina displays) now get retina-sized images.
Oh boy was this a lot of work. Every single one of the comic pages has been re-rendered at 4x the resolution so it appears clear and sharp on a retina display. This was something I tried to tie in with the Volume 2 prep work, and it's something that will make Volume 3 a lot easier to produce. It also means the comic will look wonderful on computing devices for years to come. Here's a sample:
Chapter 69, page 44 at normal resolution
Chapter 69, page 44 at Retina resolution
You can add that suffix @2x to any page, past or present. It's kinda stupid on the older pages though.
3. The comic archive has been updated with the COPIOUS amounts of edits and art tweaks that went into Volume 2.
You will note a few things here:
- Mischief Night lost 3 pages with Carson in them. In the graveyard now.
- Sayonara, Kizuna the Dog was removed entirely. I buried it in Candybooru so people will stop talking about Kizuna.
- A page was added to Unrequited which helps pace out the page which comes after it.
- Starting Over was moved to the position of "47.9", which is more or less where we want new readers to start reading the comic from now on.
- Up to Bat was moved to 57, which is where it fits in the story. Sensible Precautions (the one-page thing it replaced) was made an intermission.
- Turning Tides was moved to 54.1, in place of the old Kizuna intermission.
But seriously. Just read it all from Starting Over onwards. We changed so much stuff to make the comic read better and I'm super proud of how it all turned out.
So, uh, feel free to discuss changes in the archive here, if you discover them. Otherwise just enjoy the fact it's a lot less wordy and a lot more engaging now. IN MY OPINION.