Featuring a comprehensive cast list, frequently asked questions and author information, this page will get you up to speed on all things BCB!
Cast of Characters
- 15 years old
- Born August 10th
Our male protagonist. A star athlete and regular “nice guy”, Mike often finds that the girls who vie for his attention are the source of most of his problems.
- 15 years old
- Born November 7th
Our female protagonist. Sometimes sweet and sometimes mean, Lucy is wrought with insecurity and would rather punch you in the face than expose it.
- 15 years old
- Born April 16th
Paulo spends more time hitting on girls than paying attention in class. Despite his talent for time-wasting, he is fiercely loyal and will always stand up for his friends.
- 15 years old
- Born September 27th
Smart and hardworking, this bubbly cheerleader spends her time immersed in books. She longs to be more than everybody’s “little sister”.
Chipper and dimwitted David sees the world a little differently from those around him. His distance from the others sometimes yields surprisingly astute observations.
Bound by a strong moral code, Abbey struggles to balance his protective nature with a short temper. While he can butt heads with more easygoing classmates, he’s working on it.
Always busy behind the scenes, Sue’s interest in the dramatic doesn’t necessarily extend to her social life.
Mild-mannered popcorn merchant Amaya is Sue’s best friend. She chooses to remain mute. Her job at the cinema can sometimes be very useful to those who know her!
Mike’s very own green light on the horizon, Sandy is Mike’s earliest childhood friend and his current love interest. Having found success as a young model, she struggles with the demands of work, school and a budding long-distance relationship.
This peppy freshman’s life is dominated by school activities — softball, student government, you name it! While she normally keeps to her own group of friends, Jasmine took an immediate liking to Paulo but struggled to find time for him.
- 16 years old
- Born March 15th
- First appearance in “Follow Me”
Jessica is a proud, quick-witted member of the cheerleading team who is never afraid to voice her opinion. Together with her closest friend Rachel, she has been quick to offer compassion to Daisy.
- 16 years old
- Born February 11th
- First appearance in “Follow Me”
A true flirt, Rachel revels in playful jokes that make light of those around her. While her open nature is often confronting to friends, her cheerful demeanour always lightens the mood.
Abbey’s little sister seems to have an endless reserve of childish positivity, showing strong dedication to schoolwork and her local Girl Scout troop. She loves her brother dearly, and shoulders more of their shared burden than he’d like.
- 18 years old
- Born October 1st
- First appearance in “Carry On”
Calm and composed, Augustus is always sure of himself and executes his tasks with quiet efficiency and biting wit. While he keeps his emotions close to his vest, there’s one girl who can unravel everything…
A rich party girl with a rebellious streak, Tess departed the scorched earth of junior year to find newer, younger friends. She has since struggled to reconcile her upcoming graduation with the close friendships she quickly forged.
Lucy’s first pet, and the loudest by far. Yashy is something of a prodigy, with a sharp wit that betrays her young age. Bratty, loudmouthed and rude, deep down she wants nothing more than for Mom to settle down with her flea.
Mike’s pet bird Blur was rescued from a fire as a youngster and has trouble remembering what came before the incident. He counts Yashy as a close friend and can often be seen playing or arguing with her.
Innocent and naive, Chirpy remains in awe of the world around her. She clings to Yashy and always does her best to follow the examples of grown-ups (while making frequent mistakes in the process.)
Lucy’s most mature pet, Lily is a source of wisdom for much of the cast (and babysitter to others.) Patient and understanding, she is usually able to steer her friends in the right direction.
Precocious Katie spends most of her time worrying about makeup and hair styles and has been duly rewarded with the position as the most popular girl in school. She’s not necessarily mean and cruel… she just doesn’t think too much about others.
Katie’s best friend. Fluent in the written word, Stacy’s peers haven’t (yet) deterred her from a passion for reportage, creative writing and poetry.
Alec “McCain” McCain remains detached at all times, making blunt pronouncements in situations which do not always welcome them. His tone-deaf flavour of cold rationality doesn’t earn him many favours with most of the cast.
About the Authors
Born in Ecuador, Veronica migrated to the United States and eventually found herself in Sydney, Australia (pictured) for BCB’s first six years. Drawing cats since she was 7, Bittersweet Candy Bowl is the final realisation of a story she’s developed with characters she’s had floating around in her head since childhood.
You may have bumped into “Taeshi” on deviantART or around Sonic websites back in the day (and by day we mean last millennium.) Currently 26 years old, she has half of a Bachelor of Fine Arts from COFA, half of a Bachelor of Education from UTS and did some psychology classes at Rutgers.
Oliver (AKA “SuitCase”, “Souppy”) assists with writing and editing, fulfils your store orders and does all the web and book design. 26 years old and born in Australia, he now lives in New Jersey with Veronica, his partner of 10+ years. Despite his finishing law school and Veronica’s wealth of deferred degrees, together they hope to spend the next few years working this comic gig full-time!
- When is the comic updated?
- At 1 PM EST every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- What does the name “Bittersweet Candy Bowl” mean?
- Our friend Lily suggested it. It’s about the intermingling of personalities in the comic! Kind of.
- Is this a furry comic?
- BCB’s animal characters were influenced by Veronica reading Garfield and watching cartoons as a kid. As we see it, they have nothing to do with furries, “fursonas” or the world of anthropomorphic fetishism. We hope the comic can be enjoyed by all kinds of people, whether they identify as furry or not.
- When did the comic start?
- Veronica began posting the comic on deviantART in 2006, but it didn’t get its own (small) website until 2007. BCB launched properly as a regular webcomic in 2009.
- How do you make the comic?
- Veronica sketches with a mechanical pencil on nice paper, panels with a T-square ruler, and formerly inked pages with Sakura Micron and Copic brush pens. She now uses a bottle of black ink and fine brushes in their place, as well as a variety of watercolor paints to color. Oliver scans the work with an Epson A3-size photo scanner, color-corrects the work in Photoshop and pattern-stamps out all the little mistakes. Each page takes about an hour to sketch, an hour or more to ink, and several hours to color. It’s a lot of work!
- How much of the comic is done in advance?
- 5–20 pages. We know where the story’s going and how it will end.
- When will the comic end?
- It’s hard to say.
- Why does the quality of early pages vary so much?
- The comic started out as sketches drawn on cheap lined paper made for deviantART friends. As it became more popular, we spent more time on each page and important chapters were redrawn. If you’re unimpressed with the early chapters, don’t worry: it gets better!
- Did you change an old page or two?
- BCB is a living document that dies when we publish a book. In other words: when we prepare each volume, we make lots of little changes and corrections to art and dialogue, but you can count on anything sorted into a volume to stay the same.
- Did you create all the characters?
- No. Tess was created by Lily, McCain by Tim, Carter and Carson by Evan, and Kizuna by Victoria. Fans have created many more characters themselves, but they stay in the fan realm now.
- Will you put my character in the comic?
- No. Sorry!
- Where’s Lucy?
- You are not meant to know more than the vague information contained in this chapter. We have plans to expand on the answer to the “Where’s Lucy?” question, but not now, and certainly not when you ask us to spoil it! We hope you will enjoy the resolution of this storyline in time.
- Can you come to a comic convention near me?
- Hey, maybe! We are mostly interested in attending conventions in the USA where other webcomic artists exhibit. If you think there’s a good fit for BCB that’s not already in our “Upcoming Appearances” list in the page footer, let Oliver know!
- Only Paulo’s (@HotSomali92). Other character accounts are fan-made. We also run @bcbcomic for news and page updates!
- Why do some characters wear clothes and others not?
- It’s a comic about cartoon cats.
- Who is this black bird from the site’s error pages?
- His name is Error. In the early days, when Veronica made a mistake she’d scribble over it, draw a bird, and leave him in the scene.
Have a question not answered here? Ask on Veronica’s Spring.me.
← Back to the homepage.
Page last updated January 20th, 2014.